Legal Excellence. Principled Counsel.
Attorney Matthew P. Schaefer is the founder of SchaeferLaw, LLC, in Portland, Maine. A practicing lawyer for more than 25 years, he has extensive experience with state and local tax law, appellate practice, and contract law. He serves clients based in Maine and throughout the United States.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Schaefer has appeared before state and federal courts, and administrative tribunals, and has been involved in many noteworthy cases. Additionally, he has authored 10 briefs submitted to the Supreme Court of the United States and appeared as co-counsel in two cases before the court. He serves a diverse client base comprised of businesses in many different industries.
Mr. Schaefer is passionate about providing pro bono representation whenever he can. Illustrating his commitment to pro bono service, in 2011 Pine Tree Legal Assistance acknowledged him for providing the highest number of pro bono services in Androscoggin County, Maine, and in 2020 the Maine Supreme Judicial Court recognized him for his pro bono activities.
Mr. Schaefer is actively involved in the American Bar Association. He serves as Associate Editor-in-Chief, State and Local Tax for the association's publication The Tax Lawyer and belongs to the Section of Taxation and the State and Local Tax Executive Committee. He is also a member of the Maine State Bar Association and volunteers his time within the state on various civic matters.
In 1991, Mr. Schaefer graduated with high honors from Swarthmore College. He subsequently graduated magna cum laude from Cornell Law School in 1994. He is qualified to appear before all Maine and Massachusetts state courts, several federal district and circuit courts, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
- Honors: B.A. With High Honors
- United States Supreme Court, 2014
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2011
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Maine, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1995
- Maine, 1994
- Massachusetts, 1994
- South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., 138 S.Ct. 2080, 2018
- Direct Marketing Ass’n v. Brohl, 575 U.S. 1, 2015
- Crutchfield Corp. v. Testa, 2016
- Performance Marketing Ass’n v. Hamer, 2013
- State and Local Tax Law
- Appellate Practice
- Contract Law
- Dispute Resolution And Litigation
- Pro Bono And Asylum
- An award given for pro bono service , Katahdin Counsel, Maine Supreme Judicial Court , 2020
- Super Lawyers
- Katahdin Counsel, recognized by the Maine Supreme Judicial Court for pro bono service, 2020
- Recognized by Pine Tree Legal Services for the most pro bono hours among attorneys in Androscoggin County, ME, 2011